kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

And... It happened. Our first frost..

I woke up with the rising sun on Sunday morning knowing that the garden would be covered in frost.. the previous evening the tone of the frost warnings had changed from 'chance of frost in low-lying areas' to 'there will be frost'. Can't argue with that! And they were right.. So I guess it's official, summer really is over. The grass was covered with a thick blanket of white frost that crunched as I made my way up to the early morning garden to snap some photos. Yet, no matter how unexcited I was for its arrival, you can't argue the beauty of a frost.










HIdden treasure between the frosted kale.

5 comments:

  1. You are poetic! "You can't argue the beauty of frost".
    That flower is stunning!
    I have greens in my cold frame - question: should i keep watering them? Should I close the lid every night now and open it up for the still warm days?
    edie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Edie! You are too kind!! :) I'd water them when dry - we've had some rain, so they're probably ok. I haven't shut my frames yet, but will start when those nights are dipping down to near freezing. My rule of thumb is when it's 4 C outside, they should be opened.. You do want the veggies inside to toughen up and by exposing them to some colder weather, they won't be as susceptible to frost. If grown too warm, they are easily damaged..

      Delete
    2. I had the same question as Edie. So the cold frames are open tonight..and my thought was 'girls..toughen up'. They are wet and warm at 14 degrees..for now..

      Delete
  2. Love your book and just pre-ordered the next one Niki - question; I'm trying the year round gardening in Idaho this year and wondered how you water with freezing temps at night, do you take the hose into the house or suggest bucketing water out to the garden? And does it help to have warm water on the plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ted.. thanks so much! I really appreciate that! As for watering, once we enter into late Nov and the winter weather arrives, watering comes to a standstill. At that point, plants aren't transpiring and water isn't lost as quickly from the soil. plus, the frames are like a mini ecosystem and recycle the water. I do start watering again in early March when things are growing well and I'm seeding fresh crops for early spring. But, one can also just pop open the frames when it's raining and Mother Nature will take care of it. Hope that helps!! Good luck.. Niki

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)