Flowers

Flowers

Friday, June 19, 2015

Garden Days have finally arrived!

Sherry and I kicking up our boots before the
rain began!
With the rain today, Mother Nature isn't being very accommodating, but the wet weather hasn't dampened my spirits in the kick-off to Garden Days 2015!

I started the day with a trip to Halifax Seed (always a good way to begin a day) where I browsed their veggie transplants and picked up a few supplies for the weekend's festivities. They have been very generous in their support for Garden Days and also donated a big box of veggie seeds for me to give away tomorrow at the Halifax Public Gardens, the epicentre of Garden Days events in Halifax (Thank you Halifax Seed!) I'm giving an informal talk at 11 am in the bandstand at the Public Gardens, but will be around from about 10 am to 3 pm to answer questions and chat. (and give away seeds!). Crystal Godfrey, container gardening expert and garden designer will also be in the gardens tomorrow at 1 pm for a talk on putting together amazing containers. However, she will also be hanging out for most of the day to offer advice and answer questions.

As for today, after my stop at Halifax Seed, I then headed downtown to Dalhousie University for their annual 'Boots N Blooms' event. This fun morning encouraged the faculty to come out and help clean up and plant many of the garden beds, as well as a bunch of large containers. Also attending this event was Sherry Chaisson, an instructor and horticultural technician at the Agricultural Campus at Dalhousie University. Sherry is super knowledgeable on all things gardening and will be joining me on The Weekend Gardener in the coming weeks to chat about garden design.

The front of Halifax Seed is looking spectacular - just look
at those alliums!! 
'Boots N Blooms' was a well organized event and Sherry and I got to judge the 'Best Wellies' contest and chat with the participants. Check out some of my photos below..

Finally, I made a pit stop to the Halifax Public Gardens, just checking out the gardens in advance of all the activities taking place tomorrow. Hope to see you there! For more information on Garden Days, just head to the website.

Happy Garden Days!


Busy gardeners at Boots N Blooms!





Down & Dirty was the group that won best wellies.. and they had the
best co-ordinating outfits too!

A list of some of the Garden Days activities happening at
the Public Gardens in Halifax. 

It's so pretty - even in the rain! You'll find me in the bandstand tomorrow
at 11 am to talk veggie gardening!

Some of the carpet beds are still being installed. What a
cool process!

Cool blues in the perennial borders. 

Hot coloured azaleas

I love viburnums.. so much!

My favourite viburnum.. looks like a wedding cake! FYI, it's
V. plicatum var. tomentosum 'Mariesii'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)