Flowers

Flowers

Friday, July 10, 2015

All-America Selections Update - The Osteospermum's are in bloom!

Three months from seeding, my Osteospermum's 'Akila® Daisy White' have begun to flower, and what a beautiful sight! As I blogged before, this was the first time I've grown Osteospermum from seed and I was surprised just how quick and easy it was - considering how expensive these plants are at the nursery ($4 to $7 each). I planted 12 seeds and got 12 plants.. I shared a few, but most were planted in containers on my super sunny back deck, where the first flowers emerged yesterday.

This year I've had the opportunity to grow plants that are All-America Selections winners, including this gorgeous annual, and write about my experiences with these tried and true plants that are grown and evaluated in test gardens across North America. This variety was a national winner in 2014 and for good reason! It's quick to bloom, producing large, daisy-like flowers that are held above tidy foliage, and will continue to push out fresh flowers until autumn.

So far, this plant is getting two thumbs up from me!



1 comment:

  1. The seeds you shared all germinated, and I am thrilled with the flowers. First time growing them also. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)